I get a lot of comments and emails asking how I motivate myself to run everyday and still love it. I guess I take it for granted that I love running and working out. I don’t see it as a chore, or a task, but more like something I get to do not something I have to do. I think that is an important distinction. I have always been really active and it helps that my husband is extremely active too. I grew up, thankfully, in a safe neighborhood that allowed my brother and I to be outside and active little kiddos. I guess it just spilled over into my adult life! But here are some tips that help motivate me and maybe they will help you too!
1. Know your body! I know that I NEED to workout first thing in the morning. So I plan accordingly. I wake up early and do my workout first thing. It sets the tone for my day, gives me energy, grounds me and makes me feel AWESOME! I also know what kind of exercise I like! I like running!!! But if you don’t then that’s okay. Let me repeat that: IT IS OKAY TO HATE RUNNING! I feel like a lot of people run because they think they should, or because other people do and not because they want to. There are thousands and thousands of types of exercise! Find what works for you and do that! It might be swimming, spinning, kickball, aerobics, softball, golf, etc. You are much apt to stick with exercise if you are doing something you truly enjoy!
2. Get a Quote! Or find a mantra! Something that will motivate you! It should be something that you can draw on to help you through a tough workout and make you feel like a champion! My favorite quote is: “One day I will not be able to do this, Today is NOT that day!” And my running mantra is simply the word “fight”. When I get tired I will just sync the word fight with my footsteps and I just repeat it. It makes me feel strong and reminds me that I am a fighter!
3. Write down your goals! Write your goals down and re-evaluate them often. Actually seeing what you want to accomplish is a great motivator. When you reach one goal make a new one. Then periodically go back and look at the goals you set and achieved! It will show you what your hard work can accomplish! I write down my daily workouts and then go back and look to see how much I have improved. It is really fun to go back and look a past years and see how much stronger I have become!
4. Tell People Your Plan! Share your goals or your plan. If someone else knows what you are working towards you are a lot less likely to skip a workout. Tell your husband, your friend, or write it on your blog what you plan to do and then you will be more accountable to actually do it!
5. Believe In Yourself! This is most important! I always believe in myself! I don’t second guess…I just do. I set my mind and I go. If my goal was too lofty then I back off but I don’t quit and I always finish what I start. Take failure off the radar! If you say you are going to run 4 miles then do it! If you have to walk, then walk, but always finish what you start. Once you start quitting on workouts because you are tired, or your legs are sore, then you will be much apt to quit again.
I hope some of these help. I realize that I can sound harsh but really I am just extremely passionate about exercise and although I know not everyone is as “crazy” about it as I am…I think all of these tips can help! Now tell me yours!
What are things that help motivate you to work out?
Filed under: Uncategorized |