Happy March 1st everyone! Today has started out pretty fabulous for me already! Love my Mondays! I did manage a 15 miler this morning and now I am ready to refuel and get back into the swing of things. But first I have to share some awesome recipes with you guys. I woke up on Sunday morning ready to bake and cook. And bake and cook I did!! First, I made Keith gluten-free brownies from his favorite mix, Namaste. I make a few substitutions. Instead of adding 3/4 cup oil I always use either unsweetened applesauce or apple butter. They are still fabulous and you won’t miss anything but the extra fat grams….promise!
A few weeks ago the movie, Waitress was on TV (love that movie BTW) and ever since then I have been wanting to make a pie. So for dinner I tried my hand at chicken pot pie! It as so good. Keith loved it and declared it worthy of cookbook number 2 (to be released sometime this coming year!)
CHICKEN POT PIE
- 2 pounds chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10.75 oz) 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cups milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 ready to bake pie crusts (I used the low-fat Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Pie Crusts)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and pour into pie shell. Cover with second pie shell and seal the edges closed. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Bake 30-45 minutes until golden brown.
Per Serving: 399.7 Calories; 12.7g Fat (4.5g saturated fat); 78.5mg Cholesterol; 1295.5mg Sodium; 32.8g Carbohydrates; 3.1g Sugar; 35.4g Protein
** T0 make this even more low-fat don’t use the bottom crust. Simple fill a pie plate with mixture and the put a crust over the top of the pie plate. Cut slits to allow the steam to escape and follow directions above. This will change the nutrition facts to (per serving): 293.7 Calories; 7.4g Fat (2.5g saturated fat); 78.5mg Cholesterol; 1199.2mg Sodium; 20.8g Carbohydrates; 1.8g Sugar; 34.1g Protein
You guys know that I love fun random trivia facts. So to help brighten your Monday, I will leave you with some more useless information a la Kelly:
- Diet Coke was only invented in 1982
- A skunk’s smell can be detected by a human a mile away
- When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food
- American car horns beep in the tone of F
- Flying from London to New York by Concord, due to the time zones crossed, you can arrive 2 hours before you leave
- Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV
- The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache
Do you have a random piece of useless information to share?