With that said, here is my background: I run on average about 60 miles a week and I have freakishly tiny feet for my height! I am 5’6 1/2″ and I only wear a size 5.5 shoe. I have extremely HIGH arches. Not sure about your arch? Check out this photo of what a wet footprint would look like.
Then there is the concept of pronation. If you have a normal arch, you’re likely a normal pronator, meaning you’ll do best in a stability shoe that offers moderate pronation control. Runners with flat feet normally overpronate, so they do well in a motion-control shoe that controls pronation. High-arched runners typically underpronate, so they do best in a neutral-cushioned shoe that encourages a more natural foot motion. Want more information on pronation? Check out this Runner’s World article complete with explanation videos.
So what kicks do I sport? I wear two types of shoes made by K-Swiss. What, K-Swiss makes running shoes? Why, yes they do! Don’t worry, I didn’t know that either until recently. I used to wear Mizuno, specifically the Waverider, and while I still love those shoes I just found K-Swiss to be a better fit for me. About a year ago, I met a professional triathlete, James Cotter, who is sponsored by K-Swiss and on his recommendation I tried them out. It was love at first wear!
The two styles I like for me are the K-One and the Konejo:
- An Ultra-light (9oz) and stable running shoe perfect for fast days and races.
- Durability is achieved with an Aosta® II rubber outsole.
- Flexibility is enhanced by anatomically correct flex-grooves.
- Support is obtained with a direct injected urethane support cage with five-stripe branding on top.
- Stability comes from a rigid TPU midfoot shank.
- Breathability is enhanced by a Flow Cool System™ for moisture management.
- Cushioning is provided by Superfoam® technology, an Si-18 technology crash pad and a k-EVA midsole.
- Comfort is enhanced with a seamless upper construction.
- A lightweight stable running shoe
- Lightweight is achieved with an open mesh and molded synthetic leather upper.
- Stability and motion control are enhanced with a “Y-Beam”; TPU arch support and medial posted midsole.
- Cushioning is maximixed through GuideGlide Guidance System™ and a triple-density Superfoam® compound.
- Durability is enhanced with an Aosta® II outsole with anatomically correct flex-grooves.
I like both of these styles for different reasons. They both fit a little differently but fit true to size! I have a 5.5 in both and have never gotten any blisters or chafing from them…even straight from the box! I can’t say enough good things about these shoes. I also need to point out that I am NOT being paid or endorsed by K-Swiss…this is just simply my personal opinion about how great the shoes are!
Hope this information was helpful and useful to all your fabulous runners out there!