Okay so on to the important part of the post! It is no secret that Keith and I eat mostly gluten-free. When I say mostly, I mean we live about 90% gluten-free. We eat mostly raw and natural foods but when we do turn to processed foods we try to go the GF route. With that said, there are a lot of gluten-free products on the market and quite honestly some of them taste REALLY bad! Well I figured to save some of you the trouble I would give you some of my top GF foods that really taste excellent!! Consider these your Kelly and Keith tested and taste approved!! I know the list looks long but remember all of these things are eaten in MODERATION. Try to stay as raw and natural (fresh fruits, veggies, and proteins) as possible!!
Also go to my post on Gluten-Free Dining Out for a complete list of Austin restaurants that offer gluten-free menus! Yay! Or go to the Gluten Free Registry and just type in your zip code to find restaurants, bakeries, caterers, and grocers in your area!
Best Sandwich Bread: Udi Bread. This bread is so fluffy and tasty and the best part is that you don’t have to keep it frozen!!! It tastes great right from the pantry.
Best Breakfast Bread: Glutino Cinnamon Raisin Bread. You have to keep this frozen but it toasts nicely and is delish!
Best Bagels: Glutino Bagels. These are AWESOME! They are large so you can easily only eat half and be totally content!
Best Pasta: Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta. They have a huge product inventory with all kind of noodles for whatever pasta dish you want to make!
- Best pretzels: Glutino!! These are amazing. So much so, in fact, that I CAN NOT be trusted with an open bag!
- Best Chips: Another Toss up! My favorite are the Guiltless Gourmet Blue Corn Chips and Keith likes the Rice Chips by Lundberg. (All flavors do rock!)
- Best Cracker: Keith’s pick: Nut Thins by Blue Diamond Growers all flavors. My pick: Edward & Sons Exotic Rice Toast all flavors!
- Best Granola: Enjoy Life Foods (all flavors: apple cinnamon, very berry, cinnamon)
- Best Cookie: Midel Ginger Snaps or Chocolate Chip
- Best Pudding: Kozy Shack Rice Pudding
Keith’s pick: Leapin Lemurs (KIDS CEREAL!) by Nature’s Path. This cereal is a mixture of chocolate and peanutbutter puffs. I think they are okay but they taste gluten-free to me.
- Keith’s pick: Think Thin Bars (brownie crunch and peanut butter are his favorite flavors)
- Kelly’s pick: Apple Cinnamon Jamfrakas or Caramel Apple Snack Bars from Enjoy Life Foods
Best Baking Mixes:
Best Pancake (all-purpose mix): Pamela’s! One word: WOW!
Best Brownie Mix: Namaste. These brownies are amazing. We always have a batch on hand and we just keep them in the freezer and pop them in the microwave to heat them back to gooey goodness
Flour: Bob Red Mill’s All Purpose Baking Flour is great for most recipes! Anytime you see a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour you can always sub this in! I do!
Also remember to READ your labels for your soups, condiments (ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, salsa, you know) etc. and look for it to say Gluten-Free. Unfortunately, most things are gluten-free by product brand rather than by product. For example Sara Lee turkey lunch meat is gluten-free but that doesn’t mean that Oscar Meyer is. Confusing, yes!
You can ALWAYS email me with questions about certain products and I will help you decifer if it is gluten-free! I hope this is helpful for everyone!
Alright…time for my lunch! PEACE OUT!